Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a french mastiff puppy who is constipated. What will…

Customer Question
I have a french...

I have a french mastiff puppy who is constipated. What will help relieve it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Herman

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Herman?

Hes a puppy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Exactly what symptoms are you seeing to make you think he is constipated?

Any vomiting or lack of appetite?

He tries to go poop but cant and then he cries when he is trying to.

Thanks for the information. Does any loose or watery stool ever come out? What about vomiting or lack of appetite?

Loose stool does come out a little but its stuck to his butt and no vomiting or lack of appetite.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like he has some inflammation in the colon (colitis). That is usually due to something they had ingested, including a change in diet or treats, but it can be due to intestinal parasites, stress, foreign body in the colon, mass in the colon, liver problems and pancreatic problems. With a puppy, it usually is dietary, stress or intestinal parasites. If there is any blood in the stool, then there should always be a concern of parvo in puppies even if the appetite is good, and there is no vomiting. My best advice is to have your vet run a fecal exam on him to rule out any parasites. A parvo test is never a bad idea. If negative, a prescription of metronidazole usually clears this up quickly and relieves that inflammation that is causing him pain. I often put them on an probiotic for dogs as well. As far as something at home, increasing the fiber in the diet with a teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin over each meal can help with colitis. An OTC probiotic for dogs can be used. An OTC kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea solution can usually be safely used. You can find that in human pharmacies or even at most major pet stores. It is important to make sure your vet has ruled out any parasites, though, because they can continue to get sicker and sicker with that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Herman is doing and to see if you have any other questions.