Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an issue that I don't think is all that unique. My…

Customer Question
I have an issue...

I have an issue that I don't think is all that unique. My puppy won't be receiving it's rabies vaccination until week 16 but will have had the three sets of all other shots prior to that (and on schedule). Is it safe for my dog to socialize with other dogs prior to having the rabies vaccination?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?

I just have a questions re: doggie day care and rabies vaccinations for puppies. I have an issue that I don't think is all that unique. My puppy won't be receiving it's rabies vaccination until week 16 but will have had the three sets of all other shots prior to that (and on schedule). Is it safe for my dog to socialize with other dogs prior to having the rabies vaccination?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?

There is nothing hurting my puppy, this is a question about socialization and rabies vaccinations.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Diesel...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. You have asked a very good one. I like to hold off on the rabies vaccine till they are at least 16 weeks of age too. IN all honesty, the chance of him being exposed to any rabies risk is extremely, extremely low as far as going to doggie day care. If they are ok with it there, then I would have no problem having him going to that day care to be allowed to socialize and have fun. In theory the other dogs that are there are all current on their vaccines and again an exposure to rabies would seem as much as a 0% chance as possible.

Thank you for your prompt reply.Stephen R. Sparks

Absolutely no problem! Thanks for taking such good care of this little guy! I hope all goes well with this little ball of energy!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian