Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I woke up this morning and his back legs aren't working...

Customer Question
I woke up this...

I woke up this morning and his back legs aren't working... he seems fine other than that. He is only 1 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He's a dachshund mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dachshund's name?

He played in the yard for a long time yesterday I'm wondering if he is just sore Bentley

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn that Bentley's legs aren't working. When this happens one of the first things we need to rule out is a prolapsed disc in the vertebral column compressing the spinal cord. In other words, the disc is compressing the spinal cord and interfere with the nervous (motor) input to the back legs; this is an emergency because the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will recover. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend taking Bentley this morning to the nearest veterinarian, do not wait.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian