Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was hit by a car but thank God he seems to be behaving ok…

Customer Question
He was hit by...

He was hit by a car but thank God he seems to be behaving ok considering what happened, he behaves as though it didn't happen. Physically though from about the mid section down seems pretty bad he can't seem to stand on his back legs right now although my girlfriend says at one point he did stand up even on his back legs but of course she gently made him lie back down to prevent further injury, it's been about four hours now and he is sleeping, also to add for the first hour he was bleeding from his rear end at least from what I could tell (didn't want to hurt him by moving his back legs to inspect him since I'm unsure of his exact injuries. The bleeding has stopped now and seems to be resting without much discomfort and even before it seemed his only frustration came from him not being able to move like he's use to. lastly I wanted to take him to the vet immediately but the hit didn't occur until around 9 PM and although we called relentlessly we couldn't find a vet open or if they were they were closing soon and we're unwilling to help us so all we could do is bring him back home and do our best for him, I'm currently planning on staying up all night to keep an eye on him till we can take him to a vet in the morning but hoping I can get a professional opinion on the best course of action to take here and if a veterinarian is absolutely necessary with him seeming rather ok (again that's all things considered here) or if with a little guidance and know-how can I nurse him back to health on my own? I only ask this last question cuz our funds at the moment are unfortunately not ideal but I don't want to lose my dog either and if taking him in is the best option then I will without hesitation cuz he's part of our family and his well being is priceless to us and we will do what it takes for him no matter what. Thank you so much in advance to whoever can take the time to hear my family and I out and whatever advice or support you can give is greatly appreciated!!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

River

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about River?

He was treated for a brain injury two years ago but he was fine and the veterinarian said he had no injury and I do apologise but can't remember which vet we took him to for the life of me. Other than that nothing else I can think of at the moment. He's a happy go lucky dog all the time and the nicest dog you will ever meet. Even with his injury now he hasn't wimpered even once which considering what happened I found surprising but didn't try to bite me when I moved him or whine or nothing, he's really being quite the trooper like he knows I'm gonna make it better so he's just fine with it which breaks my heart right now and I don't want to let him down here, he's my best friend and I'm his so please I need to speak with a vet as soon as humanly possible.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?