Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a french fry today and I think it may have gotten…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a french fry today and I think it may have gotten stuck in her throat. She was able to eat dinner(dog food) fine but has this cough that is hoarse/raspy. No distress, no drooling but I a concerned. She is a yorkie

10/6/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you still need assistance with this?

What additional information would you like

Since she is eating and drinking, what has likely happened is that the french fry scratched her throat going down. This type of scratch frequently will cause a dog to develop a cought. It is usually temporary and lasts a few days before resolving. I would not be concerned at all about this right now.

If it continues to occur, then it might be a cough due to illness like kennel cough, or even a heart condition, but the timing of the cough suggess a scratched thoat.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

3

Not sure what 3 meant but since you replied let me give you information on other causes plus medication you might use.

To help your dog breathe easier, Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. It should only contain dextromethorphan and Guaifenisen. and should NOT contain pseudoephedrine. If your dog has not had a vet visit in a while or a heart condition is suspected you should not give Robitussin until it is ruled out as it can mask heart issues. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

Other causes of cough includes bronchitis. You can read about bronchitis here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chronic-bronchitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Inhaled allergies can also cause coughs.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=479

Here is a website with more information on kennel cough. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=452

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/canine-influenza-virus-dog-flu/page1.aspx

There are other reasons for coughs such as heart problems which should be investigated if your dog is not on heartworm preventative or is an older dog. The following site goes over canine coughs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.html

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx

Your dog could be doing what is called a reverse sneeze or a collapsing trachea. Here is a site on reverse sneezes and one on collapsing tracheas.

http://www.beaglebuddies.com/misc/reverse.html

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/tracheal_collapse.htm

I do hope the cough resolves pretty quickly.

She is doing well today thank you for your help

You are very welcome.

jadedangel57

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57