Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachshund suddenly is squinting his eyes and they are…

Customer Question
My dachshund suddenly is...

My dachshund suddenly is squinting his eyes and they are red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Todd, he's four, he's also acting oddly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Todd?

His tail is slightly tucked, he was active and barking with happiness as I had just arrived home

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Todd's eyes are red and he is squinting. Do you happen to see any discharge from the eyes?

no discharge , but he is very lethargic

I am sorry to hear about the lethargy. This can be caused by a few different things. The red eyes and squinting indicates there is inflammation, which could be causing the lethargy. The veterinarian can perform a series of eye tests to help determine the cause of inflammation. However, an over-the-counter antihistamine eye medication can be used to decrease inflammation from allergies. It is possible that an allergen is causing the redness in the eyes and that is the discomfort. Zaditor is the name of a common human treatment that is completely safe to use in dogs. The dose is 1-2 drops per eye every 12 hours as needed. I would start there and monitor the response. If the eyes are still red or he seems lethargic then schedule a veterinary visit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

This came on in seconds, and the dog is not acting like an allergic reaction
tail tucked but wagging, very odd. The dog is slowly coming out of it

Is there any possibility for a toxin exposure, any history of vomiting or diarrhea?

no, I work in an office.
the dog went from hyper and happy to squinting and red eyes in just a second...

The only things it can be would be from acute pain or allergen stimulation. Pain can cause a stress response or straining and that can result in increased blood flow to the eyes. However, dogs are not usually squinting when this occurs. The other most likely cause of acute redness and squinting is from something getting into the eyes. This is not an allergy in a classic sense, but an allergen stimulation to the conjunctiva (i.e. pink part). That will cause redness and sensitivity (i.e. squinting). So the next steps would be to look for pain in the neck, head, spine, abdomen, and consider giving an antihistamine.

Just checking in. How is Todd doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian