Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has what appears to e swollen glands but they are getting…

Customer Question
He has what appears...

He has what appears to e swollen glands but they are getting bigger every day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Barkley - he just turned 10 he is an American cocker

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Barkley?

10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkley?

Yes he has small "sores", reddish lumps in his groin area and a larger hard lunp, and needs dental work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Where are the glands that you are noticing are swollen? How long has this been going on for?

around his jaw/throat area - this has only been the last could of days - the one in his groin has been there for about a week to ten days

Okay thanks for the additional information. Are you noticing any issues with Barkley's breathing? Based on what you are describing it sounds like those glands could be his lymph nodes that are enlarged. There are a couple of reasons why those lymph nodes could be enlarged. One could be due to a serious infection especially if he has some serious dental disease? The other cause is more serious and could be due to a cancer called lymphoma. Usually they can get a sample of the lymph nodes to see which case is more likely. I would be concerned about lymphoma if the glands are getting bigger every day

he has dental issues and was at the vets and has bad teeth - he needs surgery - even has a hole in his gums. I am not sure why the vet did not prescribe an antibiotic for him
we will call the vet tomorrow and see what he says, thank you

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian