Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog doesn’t eat any human food or bones but he pooped…

second opinion] My dog doesn’t...
second opinion] My dog doesn’t eat any human food or bones but he pooped white poop. It was only once and it was mixed with regular grown color. What could this be?
10/6/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

White (or grey) poop is devoid of stercobilinogen which is the compound formed from bile by the bacteria in the gut. If bile hasn't been secreted into the GI tract by the gall bladder, stercobilinogen can't form and because it's the compound that gives stool its characteristic brown/black color, the stool appears white or grey. In most cases, we never know why bile isn't being released from the liver or from the gall bladder but because this is usually a transient problem and most pets are otherwise well, there's no reason to pursue the cause. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Well, I took my dog to the vet yesterday because he puked once Monday, once Tuesday, and was dry heaving yesterday. The vet said he seemed healthy but they did an X-ray to see if it was something he ate. The vet told me they didn’t find anything other than he was full and she told me I was over feeding him. I have only given him chick broth today and he has been acting fine other than pooping white, which he has done before and it went back to normal. He just hasn’t been drinking a lot. How much should a dog drink. My dog is 16 lbs dachshund.

Thank you for the additional information. His fluid requirement approximates 1 ounce of fluid per pound of body weight daily; in his case that's ~16 ounces of fluid daily. I'm pleased to hear that he's otherwise well. I expect his stool to be normal colored shortly just as has happened in the past. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

even though he was vomitting and had white stool you don’t believe that any blood work is necessary?

If he's going into remission there's no need for further diagnostics. If he isn't improving or, indeed, worsening, diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are essential and if nothing untoward were found in such tests I would proceed to ultrasound his abdomen which is a more sensitive imaging modality than X-rays for the abdomen.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Allison Kahl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian