Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog doesn’t eat any human food or bones but he pooped

white poop. It was only...
My dog doesn’t eat any human food or bones but he pooped white poop. It was only once and it was mixed with regular grown color. What could this be?
10/5/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Most likely if he is 7 months old he ate something you do not know about. Something that made the stool appear white.

Or, a rawhide could do it.

He is pretty young to be having gallbladder issues but just in case I will cover that. The gallbladder stores bile and the bile is secreted into the small intestines when food passes through. The bile gives the digested food a brown tint.

So when there is a blockage in the gallbladder duct the bile can not come out to color the stool and then the stool would appear white or very light in color.

But at 7 months I would not worry about gallbladder issues.

However, if it happens again or keeps happening then he definitely should see the vet.

Take a picture of the stool to show the vet.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

He has pooped white before but it usually goes away by the next time he poops. He also has been puking for awhile and I took him to the vet & the vet said that he seems healthy and fine so maybe he was just puking because he ate something he shouldn’t.

Okay thanks. I did not know that part. That does not sound normal to me. Can you take him to another vet? I think he needs blood work done to check his internal organ function and his gallbladder function. He may need an abdominal ultrasound as well.

If you are very careful with what he ingests and watch him like a hawk yet he is still having white stools and vomiting then further exploration is needed.

When I was at the vet, they did an exray and didn’t find anything except for the fact that he is full. She thinks that I am over feeding him and I haven’t fed him for 24 hours except chicken broth and since then the vomitting has stopped & he seems normal
He had a normal colored poop this morning before the white one

Did the vet do blood work? That is what I would do.

No she didn’t.

If it happens again then I would run blood work to make sure his internal organs are functioning as usual.

Okay but if his poop goes back to normal is it still something to worry about

If his poop goes back to normal then you do not need to worry at all.

If its a short term thing he probably just ate something he should not have.

Okay thank you for answering my question.

You are very welcome. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian