Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's not eaten for 6 days, lethargic, being sick, been to…

Customer Question
He's not eaten for...

He's not eaten for 6 days, lethargic , being sick, been to vets, bloods taken no issue, urine tested no issue, still being sick and it's putrid and brown , called vet they said not to worry

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He's 14

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can help answer your question. I understand your dog is not feeling well and has not been eating for the last 6 days. All blood and urine tests have been normal. Is he on any medications currently? Have any x-rays or ultrasounds been performed?

A quick ultra sound was done as they found a mass near his groin, also have taken a biopsy but results not back, vet does not think it is sinister as blood and urine tests show nothing bad. My concern is that he is still being sick and is so sad, should I be asking other questions,

I am happy to hear that the blood and urine tests were normal. However, not eating for 6 days is a very serious thing in dogs. The next best thing to do for him is to have an ultrasound performed on the rest of his abdomen. A standard blood test is a good place to begin, but it does not have any markers for pancreas inflammation or intestinal disease. It also does not have any reliable markers for cancer, so a scan of the abdomen by an experienced person is a good next step.

It should also be assumed that nausea or pain is present if he is not eating well. Therefore, medication should be given that targets those symptoms. Your veterinarian will have access to strong nausea medications such as Cerenia. Buprenorphine may be a good choice if pain is present. Ask your veterinarian if they suspect there is any pain. A low fat diet may also be helpful to restore the appetite. Low fat food options consist of boiled chicken, white rice, and sweet potato. There are also appetite stimulants (i.e. Mirtazapine), but that is not always reliable. Discuss this with your veterinarian as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Just checking in. How is your dog doing today?

The vets have taken him in, they suspect he has infected lipoma, still very poorly, X-ray showing gassy pockets so they will do another X-ray later to see if this is still an issue

Thank you for the update. Do you have any other questions I can answer?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry