Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog woke up around 10 am this morning puking. This is the…

Customer Question
Hey so my dog...

Hey so my dog woke up around 10 am this morning puking. This is the only time she puked. While being inside she seems completely normal and has the same amount of energy and is completely responsive to me. When I let her out just now at 2:30 in the afternoon she pooped liquid and blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I can think of. I've recently switched her food but that was about two weeks ago and this is the first we have had this problem. Could this be from stress? I took her on a*****trip and she has been coming with me to see family and all of that

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Penny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....so this could be several things but with any of the possibilities you need to take your dog into the ER to have her seen tonight. This could be HGE but it could also be some type of bleeding disorder....

The most common cause of these symptoms is s condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis) which is usually easily treated but this could also be as I said the first sign of any type of bleeding disorder (of which there are several causes) such as immune mediated or tick infections....

Okay how much does treatment cost for any of the possibilities? Money is a huge issue and I just spent a few hundred on getting her spaed

If it is HGE then if she is not dehydrated usually they can give injection of cerenia and send home on flagyl and that will do it.......so your ER fee which is usually 95 or so, injection of cerenia which can be 50-85 and flagyl which is 25 or so, and that is if vet does not insist on fecals or CBC which they should do....

can I answer any other questions? You might want to consider pet health insurance for your dog....Trupanion is a good company....

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Do you have any additional questions I can help with?