Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a female and just begun what looks like struggling…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a female and just begun what looks like struggling to pee. Shes constantly attempting but little to none is excreted.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luna.... She just truned four

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry Luna is having urinary issues. In response to your question, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Less likely, but, another possible cause could be bladder stones. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and urinalysis as an initial screening test. In addition, they will start her on medication. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter