Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4.5 Y.O. Greyhound (non racer) that has been

Customer Question
I have a 4.5...

I have a 4.5 Y.O. Greyhound (non racer) that has been diagnosed with lymphoma. The diagnosis was arrived by a biopsy of a mass in his small intestine after removal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Huey is 4.5 Y.O. Thank you for being here. Can a mis-diagnose happen from a biopsy? Can lymphoma be detected in a blood sample?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Huey?

Not sure what else you would require.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now.

Misdiagnosis is very uncommon in dogs and biopsy is the gold standard. I believe there are blood tests on the market to try to diagnose certain cancers, but none of them are as effective as a biopsy and histopathology. With a histopathology, a pathologist analyzes the tissue sample in multiple sections and makes a conclusion based on the sample submitted. If you wish to have a second opinion, the potential sometimes does exist for you to request that they send the sample to another lab (I highly recommend the oncology department at Colorado State University that evaluates samples at a low or no cost to owners). They will likely have you pay for shipping from one lab to another but you can obtain a second opinion so long as the sample is still available.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Huey?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy