Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was just diagnosed with a Mast cell tumor. I am not…

Customer Question
My dog was just...

My dog was just diagnosed with a Mast cell tumor. I am not certain of the stage. They have just done ex rays and have taken samples from her blood and spleen. The tumor has broken through the skin and is bleeding slightly. Does that mean it is stage III?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She is about 9 years old and is a Staffordshire terrier. She also is allergic to some grains if that is important here.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, no, the fact that it has broken through the skin and has bled is not a reliable indicator of the stage. Staging is now done with a two-tiered system and mitotic index and several markers are utilized to better define and predict mast cell tumor disease - Ki-67, AgNORs, and c-Kit mutations. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian