Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my bloodhound to the vet today and they diagnosed him…

Customer Question
I took my bloodhound...

I took my bloodhound to the vet today and they diagnosed him with an ear infection in both ears. Since we left the vet he’s started vomiting. It was the yellow liquid but now it’s turned brown. He won’t eat but is still drinking water. The vet put some kind of liquid medication in his ears. Could that be the cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he’s 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hebert?

He weighs 130, was itching at his ears all last night so I took him in today. Has been acting lethargic and wants to be right by my side at all times. Still wagging his tail though. Also a tiny bit of diarrhea

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He was throwing up quite a bit for an hour or two but then seemed to lay down and relax for about an hour and a half but he just threw up again. It smells this time and is brown.
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Update, he hasn’t thrown up since 3:20, that time it was yellow. He whined a little around 4 and arched his back as if he was uncomfortable. He woke up this morning around 9 and went straight for his food and water. I gave him a tiny bit of lamb and rice to see if he can hold it down. So far he has.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Herbert, please?

Irrigating the ears can occasionally irritate the middle/inner ear and vestibulocochlear nerve (cranial nerve VIII) resulting in vertigo/nausea/vomiting. This is more likely if Hebert's ear drum had been ruptured prior to having his ears irrigated. It sounds as if he's already normalizing but it would be prudent to ask his vet how Hebert's eardrums looked when his ears were scoped.

The vet didn’t mention his ear drums. Just said he had puss starting to form in one and the other was very inflamed.
I’ve been watching his bowels and the last one was a single carrot and chunk of potato. He happened to get into the leftovers the night before last. If he didn’t chew he wouldn’t necessarily digest it would he? Could that be causing the vomiting and watery stools?

It's important to know if his eardrums are intact. If they aren't you mustn't continue placing that ointment into his ears.

Certainly. A dietary indiscretion is a common cause of gastrointestinal distress. That distress should be transient and not need to be treated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

The ointment is weekly so I’ll have to go back next Wednesday to have his ears checked and placed in again if he needs it. The dr said his ear canal is so deep he perfed to do it to know it was in his ear for sure. I’m going to let him rest and if he throws up again I’ll take him in for a X-ray I guess?

Thnak you for the additional information. Make sure you let Hebert's vet know what you witnessed following his ear treatment. I would be patient with Hebert. X-ray aren't indicated unless his GI distress persisted for more than 72 hours or he worsenrf to the point of losing too much fluid from either end of him.