Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been diagnoised with an enlarged spleen, he has…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been diagnoised with an enlarged spleen, he has also vomited blood, blood clots, and a large amount of mucus, my Veterinian can. t remove his spleen until next week, is there anything that can be given to him to sustain him until then?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No he did not, he still drinking water and trying to eat his favorite treat

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is an 11 yr old american pit bull

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?

My Vet has said that there might be some other problem causing the enlarged spleen, now 5x normal size

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, yes, but the supportive care Buster requires would be done in a hospital setting. If he's vomiting blood (hematemesis) he can't wait until next week to remove his spleen and, in fact, removing it may not be appropriate as the hematemesis may indicate metastasis of a splenic cancer to his stomach or major organ failure which is debilitating his GI tract to the point of ulceration and bleeding. I would ultrasound the abdomen and X-ray the chest of such a patient as soon as possible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.