Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is scooting his on the floor to the point of

Customer Question
My dog is scooting...

My dog is scooting his butt on the floor to the point of exhaustion - It has gotten worse in last several hours. What can I do until I can take him to a Vet in the morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Pepe' (Peppy), he is 13 years old - neutered Papillion

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepe?

Not that I am aware of, his shots are current, we just moved to Fort Mohave, AZ last week - he is treated monthly against fleas, ticks,, heartworm, etc.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Peppy who has been scooting a lot tonight. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Peppy's irritation back there and we have to consider each of these. Most dogs to this at some point - some more so than others! Dogs generally undertake this scooting primarily because they have irritation around their back end. This could due to anal irritation or pain, or due to a skin itch or irritation. The most common causes for this scooting are:

1.) Full or impacted anal glands
2.) Fleas
3.) Intestinal worms
4.) Skin irritation around the anus or at the tail base.

If Peppy has had anal gland issues in the past, it is quite possible that these are the cause of his scooting. Ensure his anal glands are cleared out regularly by your Vet or groomer. If he is scooting, it is quite likely he needs his glands expressed. You should also add some fiber to his diet to help minimize the number of times the glands need to be cleared. Try adding some bran flakes or metamucil to his wet food, or feed him some canned pumpkin.

Also be sure to keep on top of the flea and worming treatments. Make sure you use a reliable product for this. Advantage or Advocate are perfect for defleaing and I would suggest a good All-wormer like Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur as well. This will help to sort out numbers 2 and 3! If he gets skin irritations, then be sure to shampoo him every week or two. You can also try a little benadryl if you think this may be the cause. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through - let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian