Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 45lbs and ate 10 pills meant for my other dog who…

Customer Question
My dog is 45lbs and...
My dog is 45lbs and ate 10 pills meant for my other dog who weighs the same. do I need to go the the hospital with her/
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
the pills were gabapentin for my other dog.
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

What strength were they in mg ?

the strength is 100 mg and she is 45lbs it was 8-10 pills.

Got it, please stand by here, just starting to type out your answer

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. The top dose for this drug in dogs is up to 10 mg per pound of bodyweight meaning 450 mg in Sofie's case, so 800 + mg is a clear overdose.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this should greatly help. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs, but if you are going down that route then go at once }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include marked lethargy and incoordination.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sofie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sophie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental drug overdose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sofie. How is everything going?