Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our aussie ate raw bread dough with yeast in it and now

Customer Question
Our aussie ate raw...

Our aussie ate raw bread dough with yeast in it and now seems sluggish and very tight stomach.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He is an Australian Shepard at around 50 Lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, it is a dog. An Australian shepherd at around 50 Lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Australian Shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the Australian Shepherd's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?

No he is acting sluggish and has a very tight stomach. Otherwise very healthy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Cody's situation. The problem with eating the raw bread dough with the active yeast is that the warm environment of the stomach will cause the yeast to ferment and this will produce alcohol along with the rising of the bread. This process can be lessened by getting them to eat some ice or drink some ice water. The colder temperatures can help to stop this rising. How much rising is to be done? How much alcohol will be produced? Those are the unknowns. I wouldn't want him to get really uncomfortable or to start to try and vomit but being unsuccessful as then the situation could have progressed to a twisted stomach.

The pure expanding of the bread dough can physically put enough pressure on the diaphragm and the vasculature leading to the heart to cause significant distress. There are cases that have to be taken to emergency surgery to remove the bread dough as it is expanding and causing that much distress to the function of the body.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian