Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 4 year old labradoodle was limping on her right front…

Customer Question
Hi, our 4...

Hi, our 4 year old labradoodle was limping on her right front leg. we got meloxicam for her and she gradually got better. now she is limping on her left front leg. xrays were negative the first time we went. wondering if this might be a pinched nerve in her neck?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, there is nothing there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Lulu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lulu?

Very energetic dog. does lots of jumping off things.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're smart to consider a cervical (neck) myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) when both front legs have been affected. The lameness may reflect dorsal root signature signs indicating compression of nerves where they leave the spine. This is usually due to a bulging or ruptured intervertebral disk which may or may not be evident on X-rays. MRI might be necessary to "see" this pathology but we usually reserve MRI for surgical candidates.

I can't rule out that she simply hurt this leg as she might have hurt her right front leg previously. It's not unreasonable to see how meloxicam works this time around. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.