Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 24-lb. male, 12-yr old dachshund with Cushing's…

Customer Question
I have a 24-lb...

I have a 24-lb. male, 12-yr old dachshund with Cushing's Disease. He is on medication for this, and 2 weeks ago his ATCH finally showed he was in the normal range. Since I got home from work today, he has been panting, dripping, seems confused, and seems to have muscle weakness. He's lethargic, but shaky and it feels like his heart is pounding. He is also on Vetprophen for pain, as it appeared about a week ago he was having difficulty finding a comfortable position to lay in. This seems to have made him more comfortable. What could be causing this sudden change and what should I be doing for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dachshund. What is the dachshund's name?

Simon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simon?

I have not seen him like this since he was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G and I'd like to help you with your dachshund.
This sounds really serious and I think you need to take him to the vet right away. There are a number of things it could be...even though his ACTH test was normal a few weeks ago, he could not be having an Addisonian Crisis (the opposite of Cushings). He could have had a stroke or a high blood pressure issue. Even a UTI, which Cushings dogs are prone to, could make him suddenly ill.
Do you have an ER near you? He needs an exam and some bloodwork as soon as possible.
He could also be having an issue with the pain med.
Are you saying he COULD be having an Addisonian Crisis? Yes, we do have an ER vet clinic here.
I can't know without examining him and doing blood, but he should definitely have electrolytes checked. Panting, weakness and shaking are all signs of electrolyte problems. Other signs are vomiting and diarrhea, not wanting to eat, sudden changes (usually increases) in drinking and urination.
Unfortunately, I can't diagnose your dog on here nor could I do it without exam and blood. It with your dog's history and age, these signs are worrisome enough for me to recommend you get him checked out. It could be Addisons or anyone of a number of other things, but I'm just worried about him with your description.
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian