Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is very wobbly and sometimes seems to not be able to…

Customer Question
My dog is very...

My dog is very wobbly and sometimes seems to not be able to walk at all. Some days he is fine and other days it gets worse. I can tell when he is about to have an episode because his tail goes all the way up between his legs. He is a 9 year old shih tzu. I took him to the vet but I am not entirely satisfied with the answer he gave me. He also has a bump on his skin in his fur that looks like a blister filled with red blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

He has no wounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Very Wobbly?

He looks like he is drunk when he is walking. He loves water and drinks a lot per day but he can't seem to find the bowl when he goes for a drink. He will be like this for a day or two and then he will be fine again.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am very sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

There are a couple of things that come to mind with dogs that seem to lose their balance.

The first is Vestibular disease , sometimes known as old dog disease. This can make a dog feel dizzy and thus put the dog off balance. The cause is a miscommunication between the inner ear and the brain.

The second would be , especially for this breed, an intervertebral disc. This is where the soft tissue the cushions the disc suddenly turns hard and presses on the nerve running through it. This cause pain and can also show a drunken gait.

I am going to direct you to links on both of the above for further reading. Of course your best option if you disagree with your vet would be to get a hands on exam by a different Veterinarian.

Vestibular disease http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/06/04/canine-vestibular-disease.aspx

Intervertebral disc disease

http://http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant