Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yorkie was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer on Monday. She…

Customer Question
My yorkie was diagnosed...

My yorkie was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer on Monday. She was given antibiotic ointment and atropine drops. She is also wearing a cone. We do not know the cause of her ulceration it happened almost over night. No symptoms on Sunday night then eye swollen shut on Monday morning. Her tear test was normal and so was eye pressure per vet. I'm worried her eye looks no better but actually worse. Do I need to take her to an emergency vet? Her followup is tomorrow at 4:45 with our regular vet. They cannot see her any sooner.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is otherwise healthy, has never required any other vet treatments. Up to date on vaccines. And she lives with 2 other yorkies who have no symptoms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G, I'm going to try to help you out with your pup.
When you say the eye looks worse, can you tell me more? Is the surface of the eye cloudy? Can you see a hole in the surface of the eye or any drainage or anything protruding from the eye?
Eye problems can really worsen quickly at times. Sometimes it is better to err on the side of caution with eyes. Do you have an ER doctor near you?
Poor baby! That definitely looks like it is painful for her. You can try a couple things first. Try flushing some of the debris out with plain saline and try using a warm compress to,get the debris from her eye. But if she is still holding it closed and looking that uncomfortable, then she should be seen. It looks like she might need some pain med's so she can feel better. Also, sometimes a secondary problem can develop that can increase pain in the eye, something like uveitis, low pressure in the eye caused by deeper inflammation.
Can it wait until the appt tomorrow afternoon? Or should see be seen tonight?
She could even be having a reaction to the eye med's. However, you can't just discontinue them as the ulcer needs an eye med put in regularly to heal.
If the flushing and compress do not improve her pain and she doesn't open the eye anymore. Then yes, I would take her tonight. Hopefully it is something easy, Eyes can change so quickly and dogs can lose their vision or their eye very quickly. And she is really looking painful in that eye.

How did it go with your pup? How is her eye?

If I was able to provide you with an answer when we chatted, please give me a rating. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr G
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian