Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sometimes during walks my shiba inu is excited and pulls on…

Customer Question
Sometimes during walks my...

Sometimes during walks my shiba inu is excited and pulls on the leash. When he does he can cough. Should we switch from using a collar to using a harness?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. and no wounds are found

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Shiba Inu's name and age?

Baxter and almost two years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

No, he is healthy and active.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Baxter.

It's possible that he just has an overly sensitive trachea or perhaps he has a mild collapsing trachea (although this condition typically develops in slightly older dogs). Regardless, I'd strongly advise a harness rather than a collar so that pressure on his neck can be avoided.

You might also want to consider the use of a Gentle Leader (https://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Leader/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AGentle%20Leader) which may help to prevent his pulling when walked.

I hope this helps, Deb