Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is still coughing and gagging after being given

Customer Question
My dog is still...

My dog is still coughing and gagging after being given famotidine. They believe he has an obstruction in his intestine. Is it a good sign that he is only coughing and no longer throwing up?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

He may have. He tore up a foam dog mattress and may have consumed some. He also may have swallowed a piece of a rubber toy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Moose, 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moose?

He was acting normal all throughout the day, but began throwing up in the afternoon. He threw up about every 20 minutes. After throwing up 6-7 times, I took him to the vet. They could see a lot of gas in his intestines, but could not see an obstruction. They gave him fluids and flamotidine in the hopes that whatever is stuck will work its way out. Now I am stuck trying to decide if he is doing better or needs barium or possibly even surgery. He still has an appetite and is acting normal besides the gagging/coughing, so I could really use a second opinion.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The coughing may be a sign of irritation of the throat from consuming foam and the rubber toy. If they believe he has an obstruction and he's not vomiting, this is a good sign, along with the strong appetite. If he resumes eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally the blockage may well pass or have already passed on it's own. Sometimes blockages do eliminate themselves from the body without surgical intervention.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Moose?