Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pregnant and she is due the 22nd. She is the first…

Customer Question
I have a pregnant...

I have a pregnant bitch and she is due the 22nd. She is the first dog I have bred in almost 17 years. My oxytocin is long past its expiration date. I need oxytocin after she whelps to help evacuate her uterus and to let down her milk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Nothing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

? are you a computer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Hello

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Ide rather talk to a Vet and not a computer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

She i not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tia?

She is pregnant

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

As I mentioned above, I've been breeding for 20+ years. I have only had Oxytocin administered once when we though the x-ray showed a retained pup. It turned out that was not the case but a pup in the stomach that had been swallowed whole. I am not a high volume breeder but average 1-2 litters a year with the average litter size being 9-12 pups. My females all have gotten more than enough milk to support their pups and it has come in pretty quickly. None has ever had a problem with voiding their uterus of the fluids since the nursing action of the pups naturally leads to uterine contractions and voiding.

At this point since you have time before she delivers, I'd get in to see your vet around week 7 and ask about him supplying you with it if he feels she might need it. In the majority of cases, it is not needed.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.