Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is on day two of treatment with parvo. He does have…

Customer Question
Hello my dog is...

Hello my dog is on day two of treatment with parvo. He does have blood coming out of his behind. We are treating him with Paxxin and vibractra plus also with oat water and Pedialyte. Also molasses for his gums. He sometimes drinks wAter on his own. What day would u say is the worse?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Scrappy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear that Scrappy has parvo. I'm assuming that your vet diagnosed this. Did they present treatment through them involving anti-nausea medication and antibiotics or possibly hospitalizing him for supportive care?

Actually they did not diagnose him. We brought in a stray dog about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately she didn't make it. And actually died at the vet's office. When they said that it was the beginning stage she died a day later. Scrappy started showing symptoms not even 12 hours later. It has been 3 days since then. We just got the treatment and yesterday so he has been treated for 29 hours. Blood showed up about 12 hours ago. We do have an IV that the vet gave us for the other dog that passed. But Scrappy is drinking on its own and is showing that he is not dehydrated

That is good that she's drinking on her own. I'm sorry to hear about that stray being taken in and it passing. That is unfortunate that it seems that it was the source of this. As far as how long till they hit the bottom? That honestly is a case by case basis. I've seen some that hit bottom at day 5-7 while others hit it at day 2-3. A lot depends on the dog, their own immunity, the breed, the supportive care being given, and honestly, luck. The treatment of parvo is supportive. It is trying to support the body while their immune system fights off the virus. 20% of parvo dogs treated at a veterinary hospital pass from it.

That is why I just want to do the treatment myself. So if he does pass I will know I have done everything I could. Now with the medication I'm giving him with paxxin amd vibractra plus. Is it okay to give him another remedy I saw online. It was with active charcoal water and Pedialyte?

Honestly, there shouldn't be any benefit to giving charcoal water. I wouldn't try to give anything that may decrease the oral intake of other water / pedialyte / food. Pedialyte can help to replace some electrolytes.

He just passed
I'm very to hear that he passed. Had he been still vomiting?
Not untill the end

It is never easy to lose one to parvo. It is frustrating when all that is done is for naught as the virus just takes over.