Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Good job on the pictures. That really helps to get an idea of what you are seeing on him. That swelling is definitely very prominent there on the inside of that left rear leg by the inguinal / preputial region. What is the source of it? That is something that just by appearance, there is no way to know. More than likely it is a mass of some sort. Masses are broke down into less aggressive situations like lipomas, or more aggressive types of cancers. The best thing that can be done for him is to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate of the mass. What this entails is literally placing a small needle (the same size that is used for vaccines) into the mass and then getting some of the material / cells out of it to look at on a microscope slide after it has been stained. This can a lot of times tell the cell line origin of what is there and then what needs to be done for it. Is it a more slow growing, benign lesion? Or is it a more aggressive one that potentially surgery will be recommended for?

We just noticed it today, so we don't know how fast it's growing

That area can be a spot that isn't easy to see and a growth / mass can be there for awhile and not be noticed. The most important thing is to get that aspirate done to see what the cell line is as that will be a huge part of the decision process about what to do next.

Okay
Do you know the price range for that'

The cost for this shouldn't be that bad. At my ER, there is the cost of the office / emergency fee (the emergency fee wouldn't apply at your scheduled appointment with your vet) and the aspirate itself. A typical office appointment can range fro 30-60 dollars and the aspirate with cytology in house is $50. IF the slide is sent out for a pathologist to read, then it can be another 75-100.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I would be very curious to know what your vet finds!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian