Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog, Ryder, rubbed his two front paws slightly raw. They…

My dog, Ryder, rubbed his...
My dog, Ryder, rubbed his two front paws slightly raw. They turned a little pink. this happened yesterday after two hours at the dog park and then he stepped on a pointy stick and there is a little scrape on one of his pads. He does not chew on them. But he definitely favors his left one whenever we go outside. On the carpet he is fine. Is there anything I can do to help his paws?
10/4/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Ryder's front paw pads have suffered trauma and wear such that your pup's paws are sensitive and raw after heavy play at a dog park yesterday.

Pads will eventually heal, but they can take time to do so and if they become infected that will slow healing.

Are the pad areas actually raw and oozing or are they just very worn and tender?

Are they swollen?

I am glad that he isn't licking them a lot, but watch him and make sure he doesn't start. His rough tongue will only make things worse and could lead to an infection.

If the pads are worn, but not completely raw and oozing we may be able to get him through this with home treatment, but your veterinarian could prescribe pain medication so they are more comfortable.

We don't want him licking his traumatized pads, that will only damage them further, so it may be necessary to place an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) on him if he starts to lick.

To reduce swelling and pain you can soak his affected feet in a tepid temperature epsom salt bath for 10 minutes at a time a couple times a day. Then pat his feet dry. Then you can apply a small amount of over the counter antibiotic cream (like Neosporin) to reduce pain. Then cover lightly with a Telfa pad (non stick gauze) and put a baby sock over the affected feet, securing the top with masking tape to his fur. I recommend masking tape as it is difficult to put on too tightly, so is less likely to cut off circulation to his feet, and won't pull off hair when removed for bandage changes.

There is a product called Tuf-foot that you can apply to protect his pads while they heal once they aren't bleeding and raw. See this link for more information: http://tuffoot.com/

You can purchase Tuf-foot via the company website, online at Amazon or at some pet or feed stores.

If the pads are completely worn off and his feet are raw you will need to protect them when he goes outdoors too so they don't get dirty and infected. Leave the sock on the affected feet, then cover the sock with a baggie, securing the top with masking tape so it doesn't slip off.

Remove the protective baggie covering when he comes back inside.

He should be leash walked out to eliminate, and kept very quiet to decrease trauma to his feet until they heal.

If his feet become very swollen, have a thick green or yellow discharge or a foul odor then they are likely infected and the pup should see a veterinarian for an examination and oral antibiotics.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hey dr Kara thank you for responding! His pads are not oozing or bleeding at all. Just pink and kinda puffy and it looks like some of the black from his pads is wearing thin. I'll keep doing the neosporin and start epsom salt baths! Thank you very much. Also, I was recommended mushers secret to help it heal. Do you think thatWould that help? What about some booties?

Very good, sounds like his pads didn't get too deeply traumatized.

Musher's Secret is fine too as a pad toughner, but let them heal a little first. It can sting on pads that are worn really thin.

Booties would be very good now to protect his feet when he goes outdoors.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Awesome, thank you very much!

You are very welcome.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian