Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughter's dog basset/beagle mix age 10 is starting to…

Customer Question
Hi, my daughter's dog...

Hi, my daughter's dog basset/beagle mix age 10 is starting to urinate in the house, drink more water etc. I had changed his food to grain free about 2 weeks ago and there is also a new dog in the house (2 months)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Spanky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spanky?

Not really, at this point.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this change in Spanky.

He may have a UTI, urinary tract infection. That can cause dogs to drink more, and have urinary accidents. Usually a course of antibiotics will take care of the infection and the symptoms.

Since he is 10, there is also the possibility of internal disease such as diabetes, kidney disease, Cushing's disease. I would start by having a urinalysis done at your veterinarian to see if this is an infection.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and what other questions I can answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I did not hear back from you; were you able to see my response?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and how your daughter's dog is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian