Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a chihuahua mix & I found this lump on his leg a

Thank you. My dog is...
Thank you. My dog is a chihuahua mix & I found this lump on his leg a few days ago and he keeps licking it. It doesn't hurt him when I touch it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Vinnie & he will be 7yrs this month
JA: How old is Vinnie?
Customer: I can send u a picture
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vinnie?
Customer: He is 6
10/4/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear Vinnie has this lump, are you able to provide a photo with the paperclip on your screen for attachment?

Please give me a moment to type a response

Ok thanks

This is difficult to tell if there is an underlying lump or what we call a lick granuloma (CLICK HERE). I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking or scratching! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on or a sock to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking or scratching introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound but please minimize the use of scissors near the skin risking possibly cutting the skin

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may initially cause mild sedation

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you so much ! I appreciate the advice.
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian