Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year old Cocker Spaniel just started having

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old Cocker Spaniel just started having uncontrollable loose stools. She was up three time last night waking me up when the smell hit me. And because iits loose, its soaking into the carpet. Can I give her Immodium or Lomotil. I have suffered for 40 years with Crohn's disease and this is why I have Lomotil and Immodium.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Cocker Spaniel's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She's very old and has several cysts.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup Bella's loose stools.

I don't normally recommend using Imodium or Lomotil as it works by slowing the gastrointestinal tract down so that water in the stool can be reabsorbed. It is a narcotic and can lead to sedation and in some dogs can stop normal gut movements entirely. If the diarrhea is related to a bacterial toxin the Imodium allows more toxin to be absorbed.

Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. It can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or a mass in the intestinal tract.

Do you know if she got into anything that may have started all of this?

If she is feeling well otherwise I am less concerned. If not she should be checked by her regular veterinarian if she's not bouncing back quickly with the suggestions that I give you.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites are a common cause of loose stools in dogs and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

If she still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

If her appetite is off and if stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her loose stools.

To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if need be. You can skip this step if her appetite seems normal.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with diarrhea. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 to 12 hours. This will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

You can also add probiotics to her bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If she is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see her regular veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Bella is 20# ***** blind in one eye, deaf and has been lethargic. With her age being a concern, I'm thinking of putting her down so she doesn't suffer unnecessarily.
She is not vomiting.

I understand that she has a lot going on, and only you can measure her quality of life now.

It is certainly possible that she has some serious underlying issues, primary intestinal disease or organ disease, leading to her severe diarrhea.

I am glad to hear that she isn't vomiting. It is possible that she will respond to a food fast, kao-pectate, and a bland diet. I cannot say, but you are welcome to try that before making a final decision for her.

If that is not helping and you want to try imodium a normal dog dose is 0.04mg per pound of body weight once or twice daily, or 0.8mg once or twice daily for a 20 pound dog. If you have the usual 2mg tablets give 1/2 of a 2mg tablet every 12-24 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian