Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's nose is peeling on the top. The of her nose has…

Hello, My dog's nose...

Hello, My dog's nose is peeling on the top. The brown of her nose has peeled to an underneath pink skin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is a year and a half old mini goldendoodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lilah?

A year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilah?

No medical conditions, no change in eating habits, does not spend significant time outside off leash, no change of location, no medications, has all her shots

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about your dog's nose. This could be the beginning of an autoimmune skin disease, such as "discoid lupus", but she is young to have something like that.

It could also be normal pigment change. Dogs will have black spots and black pigment come and go, and it can be perfectly normal.

It could also be an injury, or sunburn, and will go back to black with a little time.

The pictures are helpful, but I can't tell: is there any inflammation, redness, swelling? Is it painful for her at all?

The only way to be sure what this is, would be to do a biopsy, but if she were my own dog, I would probably just continue to monitor it for now. If it gets worse, a needle biopsy in your vet's office is where I would start.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

There doesn't seem to be any swelling to the area, and she does not seem to be in pain when I palpate the lesion. The underlying skin is light pink, not red..
When would you suggest going to get a biopsy? What signs should we be looking for?

If there is redness, cracks form, or if the nose becomes painful, I would have a biopsy done. If there is loss of the appearance of "cobblestones" that you normally see on the nose, I would have a biopsy done. I am looking closely at your picture, and can't tell if the pale area is smooth or still has the fine lines between slight elevations ("cobblestones" ) that the dark part of the nose has.

The skin revealed from under neath seems to be smooth in comparison to the rest of her nose
The lesioned area itself is smooth, without the fine lines and elevations that surround the rest of her nose

Smooth could be injury, or autoimmune.

Okay. So we will wait a couple weeks to see if it heals, and move forward with possible testing from there if necessary?

Yes. If it is clearly getting worse, have your veterinarian take a look at it, and perhaps get a biopsy.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful, and if you have any other questions.

Thank you very much for your expertise! We will keep an eye on it.
Have a great day!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I think the peeling is pretty much staying the same. I haven't noticed it getting worse, but it also hasn't healed yet either.