Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I ask my son in law to pick up some children's Robitussin DM

for my Boxer that has...
I ask my son in law to pick up some children's Robitussin DM for my Boxer that has bronchitis. He brought me Robitussin Cough and Cold. The listed active ingredients are Chlorpheniramine maleate and Dextromethorphan HBr. Is both of these safe for my baby or do I need to get the DM only?
10/4/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I'm sorry to hear that Beau has bronchitis.

Chlorpheniramine maleate is an antihistamine that can be given to dogs. It is dosed at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily. Side effects can be dry mouth and eyes, sleepiness or rarely in some dogs idiosyncratic (unusual, opposite effect) hyperactivity. We need to be careful using antihistamines in dogs with heart disease, but otherwise that should be fine.

Dextromethorphan HBr is an antitussive (cough suppressant). We can use this medication in dogs. We dose it at 0.25mg to 0.5mgs per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. That usually works out to 1 teaspoon (5mls) per 20 to 25 pounds every 8 hours. Side effects are sleepiness/lethargy.

Make sure the product does not contain a decongestant (for example pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine). Dogs should not take decongestants as they do not tolerate the side effects (rapid heart rate and increased blood pressure) well.

Make sure it does not contain acetaminophen. That pain reliever/fever reducer can have serious side effects in dogs.

Also make sure that it does not contain xylitol, and artificial sweetener as that is toxic for dogs.

But if this is truly just dextromethorphan and chlorpheniramine it should be fine to use.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those are only 2 active ingredients and my boxer is 67 lbs so could you please give me correct dosage as math was not one of my best subjects...lol

Sure, what are the listed concentration of the ingredients?

For example it may say 4mgs of chlorpheniramine per teaspoon or tablespoon, or 10mls and 30mgs of Dextromethorphan per teaspoon, tablespoon or 10mls.

Once I know the concentration I can figure things out for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Active ingredient in each 10ml
Chorpheniramine 2mg
Dextromethorphan 15mg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is exactly as written on box.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just read listed in inactive ingredients that it has sorbitol solution and sucralose which I believe are artificial sweeteners. Can you confirm so I don't hurt my baby by mistake.

Sorbitol and Sucrose and sugar alcohols, not toxic to dogs but may cause some loose stools and gas if eaten in high enough amounts or he has a sensitive stomach.

At 67 pounds he could take:

20 to 39mgs of Dextromethorphan every 8-12 hours.

4mgs to 8mgs of chlorpheniramine every 12-24 hours.

If there are 2mgs of chlorpheniramine and 15mgs of dextromethorphan in 10mls would give him a midrange dose of 20mls of this medication (4mgs of chlorpheniramine and 30mgs of dextromethorphan) every 12 hours as needed.

20mls by the way is 1 TABLESPOON (15mls) + 1 TEASPOON (5mls) OR 4 TEASPOONS.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks so much.

You are very welcome, my best to your fellow.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beau. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian