Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Cocker spaniel's eyes are very red. Her left eye is swollen,

Hi, cocker spaniel's eyes...

Hi, cocker spaniel's eyes are very red. Her left eye is swollen, it's nearly closed and weeping a pale yellow pus. I was going to clean her eyes with salty water as the vet clinic is closed until tomorrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Belle. She's 8 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Belle?

She had her anal glands removed in March but was fine up until now

10/4/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. My main concern is that she has a scratch on her cornea. It is possible that she may have gotten something in her eye or even has glaucoma. If you have a another vet clinic that is open, it would be a better idea to get her there to get evaluated today. Otherwise, you can try a sterile saline eye wash to rinse the eye. I wouldn't just add salt to water and use that. You can cause more problems than are already going on. You can also get an artificial tears or eye lubricant drop and put that into the eye until you can get her to the vet. You have to be careful with eye issues, though. Some issues can cause vision loss if not treated promptly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John