Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been gagging/vomiting in the early hours of the…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been gagging/vomiting in the early hours of the morning for 5 days. He is still eating, drinking, and defacating regularly but I'm starting to get concerned. It only happens around 3-6am.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Yes, he got into the bathroom trash a day before this started.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

There are has been a day where it didn't happen at all so there is also inconsistency of the gagging/vomiting.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you both today. There are a few things to try to see if that helps at all with his symptoms

Some you might already be doing but others hopefully will help reduce his symptoms

1.) Regular leash walks, at least 30 minutes daily at a nice steady pace before bed, after dinner.
2.) An evening meal right before bedtime. I am unsure if he is free fed or fed twice daily but let's say you feed at 6 am and 6 pm. Dividing that evening meal so he gets something right before he goes to bed. This happens most commonly because the stomach is empty an extended period of time and the stomach acids increase causing vomiting and cramping

3.) Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound or prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 0.5 mg/ pound with that bedtime meal. This helps reduce stomach acid significantly overnight and can also help in reducing the gagging and vomiting overnight

But often increasing walks, the small meal at bedtime, and the antacid really does make a significant difference in these situations. I see at least a few cases monthly similar to your dog and with the regimen I have given have seen about 80% improvement. If there is no improvement or it is continuing then perhaps it is time to discuss the next step which might include basic bloodwork and an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the intestinal tract including the stomach

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!