Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 5 month old chow. 37.5lbs. Current on all shots -

Customer Question
We have a 5...

We have a 5 month old chow. 37.5lbs. Current on all shots - including Bordetella. Had her lungs X-rayed last Thursday- lungs clear. No temperature - 100.6. She is coughing. Has gone through a round of steroids and antibiotics as preventative measure against pneumonia. She was transported from Hungary. We have had her 2 weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Full appetite , drinks plenty of water. Regular firm stools.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Kyra - female

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hello. I'm Dr. Hinson and I would like to help you and Kyra today. She sounds awesome! I bet she is really cute!!

How long has she been coughing now? Does it sound like a "wet" cough or like a dry cough?

Is she actually spitting anything up?

Any discharge from the eyes?

When did she have Bordetella vaccine and do you know if it was intranasal, oral or injectable?

Dr. Hinson

The hair around her eyes are wet 360 1/2"
I would have to say wet that's why I thought it was lungs. Spit up one time small amount. They eat it or the other dog eats it so I don't know if she's only done one time or not?
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

Thank you for the response. Can you tell me anything about the Bordetella vaccine(s) she has had? What route were they given? When was the last Bordetella vaccine given? Just before shipping?

Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

I do not see anywhere on there that she received a bordetella vaccine. Am I missing something?

Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

If she did not have any Bordetella vaccines then I my guess is that she does have kennel cough. That is my best guess anyway based on her age and the fact that everything else is normal. Even if she had been vaccinated it is not the most efficacious vaccine. It is kind of like our flu vaccine - even if you received the vaccine you can still get the flu. Same with bordetella. I would not worry about it honestly as long as she seems otherwise fine. If at any time she does start acting ill then I would take her back to your vet for a recheck exam.

I wasn't sure what your specific question was. Does this help?

I have messaged the breeder to send me record of it. She “told” she was giving her the vaccination. What do we do if she didNOT get the vaccine?
Should we take her to get the vaccine whether she did or did not get one before leaving Budapest?
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

I would do nothing at this point. Vaccinating her now will do no good. I would wait and only vaccinate her for kennel cough (bordetella) if you are planning on taking her around a lot of other dogs (grooming, shows, boarding, day care, dog parks, etc). If she will mostly be a house dog then I personally wouldn't give it. If she will be around a lot of other dogs then I would wait one month after all the coughing has resolved before vaccinating her.

Thank you very much!
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

You are welcome! No worries.

Best wishes and I hope she stops coughing soon!

Take care,

Dr. Hinson

55357;�
Amber Hinson
Amber Hinson
Amber Hinson