Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

N error has occurred.Please refresh the page to chat 1:1…

Customer Question
N error has occurred.Please...

N error has occurred.Please refresh the page to chat 1:1 with the Veterinarian's Assistant. Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant Welcome! What's going on with your dog? You Hello... I have a poodle mix about 15 lbs who has been up all night snorting/honking. He has displayed reverse sneezing a few times but never longer than 5 minutes. This sounds like reverse sneezing but been going on for about 4 hours. My husband said he was outside eating grass/weeds and the sneezing/honking started after he came back in from being in the yard. What could the problem be and should we take him to emergency? His gums are normal color and other than the sneezing keeping him from getting any sleep, he does not seem to be in distress. It comes on every 30 seconds to a minute and would last about 10 seconds each time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your veterinarian's dog. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is***** is about 2-1/2 years old maybe 3. He's a rescue so age is estimate. He's not at all lethargic. He's quite alert and was wagging his tail and ran to my husband when he called him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shrinky?

That's all I could think of. He's never had any health issues.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion at this time?

It has finally abated and he's now sleeping. It kept him up all night. Every once in a while every 30-45 minutes or so he would do it again but not as intense as last night's episodes. I just wonder what could have caused it. My husband did call emergency vet at 3am and was told it is reverse sneezing and to monitor it. She did not think my husband needed to bring Shrinky in at that time. Could reverse sneezing last that long?

Reverse sneezing that lasts that long usually happens secondary to stimulation of a reflex in the throat. This can have an allergic or irritant-based connection. If you might have used new room spray, carpet deodorizer, brought a new plant into the home, etc. this may have been a reaction. It certainly wouldn't hurt to use antihistamines in the future if this begins again. He can have 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours as needed. If this becomes a chronic issue, your vet should check the mouth, throat and nasal passages for any foreign material. Diagnostics like bloodwork and x-rays may be recommended by your vet, in such a case.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Shrinky?