Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Cat - 10 years old - found small round lump/growth on back…

Customer Question
Cat - 10 years...

Cat - 10 years old - found small round lump/growth on back and growth in ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?

Chloe

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear Chloe has these lumps. Whenever I hear this is a lump on a kitty I want to aspirate it to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps. Aspiration (poke with a needle) will be used to evaluate the material under the microscope because kitties don't tend to get frequent benign lumps and my primary concern is going to be malignancy. I do occasionally have cysts form on kitties and aspiration will determine if it is fluid or if it is solid and whether removal is warranted. This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise photographing new lumps with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today. With her age and being a kitty please have your veterinarian aspirate these lumps to ensure they are nothing to be concerned about and if they are how best to move forward to remove her risk of this mass being life threatening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I apologize if the process is confusing. This is a conversation and you can ask additional questions after your original post. These do look like papillomas (in particular the one on the back) but the one in the ear is a little irregular in texture and this is not a typical location for a papilloma I would advise aspiration of the one in the ear in particular

The one on the back is smooth whereas the one in the ear is more "cobblestone" and irregular. This in particular makes me very nervous about that lump

Thank you - this is something i had not noticed before so it seems like it has appeared in this size fairly quickly. I will take her in to the vet. Thanks.

You are very welcome, please retake the photo with a ruler or coin next to it as well to monitor its size. The other lump you have your fingernail to monitor with

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

thank you.

Best wishes to you and Chloe :)

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in to ensure you have no additional questions for Chloe?
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!