Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Pretty sure my dog has pancreatitis. My vet doesn't open for…

Pretty sure my dog has...
Pretty sure my dog has pancreatitis. My vet doesn't open for 12 hours. Is it okay to wait until morning or should I consider the emergency vet?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Birdie may have pancreatitis. Are you observing any vomiting or diarrhea?

She has had it once before. I stupidly gave her a pig ear along with the rest of my dogs without thinking, she just had a little bit of it but I know it doesn't take much. That was yesterday. She has thrown up 2, maybe 3 times today.
Still wants to eat and has peed twice in the house today.

I am sorry to hear about this problem. You may be correct about the pancreas. The decision to to wait or go in to the emergency veterinarian is determined on the ability to control dehydration. This does not normally need to see a veterinarian right away, but if the vomiting continues beyond the ability of the body to stay hydrated then a visit will be necessary. You can monitor for dehydration by feeling the gums or by performing a skin tent test. The gums should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dray/tacky then there is dehydration. Also, the skin behind the shoulders can be gently pulled upwards until there is resistance. A normal return should take less than 1-2 seconds. If the skin takes longer than 2 seconds then that is also a sign of dehydration. Feeling the gums is a more accurate test, so go by those results if you can appreciate the difference between wet and dry.

You can also give a Pepcid to help control the vomiting. It is not as good as what your veterinarian has available, but it can sometimes work to decrease nausea. You can give a tablet (i.e. 10 mg) of Pepcid every 12 hours. Withhold all food for the next 12-24 hours until you can see your veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you that helps. Since she still has an appetite is drinking water and has no diarrhea I will probably wait until morning.

That sounds like a practical option. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian