Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is urininating in the house every day and drinking a…

Customer Question
My dog is urininating in...
My dog is urininating in the house every day and drinking a lot more water than he used to, his urine smells like fish. It stunk up the whole apartment but it's only fishy sometimes.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Has he every had this happen before?

This started a week ago and no it's the first time

Okay thanks for the additional information. Are you noticing any blood in the urine? Because you are noticing a smell to the urine, my first suspicion is that Luke may have an urinary tract infection. If that is the case it can be diagnosed with a urinalysis. Then he may need to be placed on antibiotics for at least 2 weeks to help with his symptoms.

No blood, just stinky urine haha. I guess I would have to take him to the vet. Do you have an estimate on home much it would cost to test his urine?

The price can vary depending on your veterinarian. But the average cost is around $35 to check for a urinary tract infection .

Thank you and what is the rough estimate for the antibiotics if Luke has an UTI. Oh! I was getting nervous that he might have diabetes

You are welcome. As far as the antibiotics there is a wide range and depends on his weight. A rough estimate is between $50-$70 dollars. The urinalysis would also detect if there is any sugar in the urine which would indicate if there was diabetes as well.

Let me know if you have any further questions

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Let me know if you need if you have any further questions or need more clarification on the information I provided.

One last question, are there any home remedies that might help with an UTI?

If it is a bacterial infection in the urine unfortunately the only way to treat that is antibiotic. There are some supplements that can minimize the urinary tract infection from coming back but once they have it they need antibiotics prescribed.

Ahh okay, that makes sense! Well those are the only questions I have for now. I'll make an appointment for a urinalysis within the week. Thank you once again, Dr Alleyne you were awesome!

No problem. Glad I could help. you have a good night!

Hi Keyra,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luke. How is everything going?
Dr. Alleyne
Sorry for the late response! I took Luke to the vet and he's been prescribed amoxicillin