Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a golden. She has been vomiting for two days. It's…

Customer Question
I have a golden...

I have a golden. She has been vomiting for two days. It's back. today black and grass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, a big mess on my favorite 20 year old blanket.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Baby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

She always have been a nervous dog. Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is Baby?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- Is she on any medications?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does she weigh?

1. 5 years old
2 no
3 no
4 no
5 80lbs

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any abdominal swelling?

3- Any other symptoms?

1. Yes
2 no
3 no appetite

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Thanks

I am sorry your dog is not feeling well. When we see black vomit this is usually the result of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. The reason why it is black and not red is that the blood is being digested. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ulcers, ingestion of a foreign body, ingestion of a foreign body, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Her lack of appetite and lethargy is secondary to not feeling well.

In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If possible, I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian