Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9human year old Yorkshire who keeps limping from…

Customer Question
I have a 9human year...
I have a 9human year old Yorkshire who keeps limping from one leg . She walks ok for a while then starts limping again . It's always the same leg , do you know what I can give her to ease the pain if any or to help with her bones ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What leg is affected?

How long has it been going on for?

If I'm looking at the dog's face it will be the rear left .
It's been like 5 months on and off .
She walks on 3 legs for like a week or so and then goes back to normal and then it happens again .

Thanks for the information. The first thing I would do is to see if it is a luxating patella, which is a knee cap that doesn't sit in place very well and can move to the side. It is very common in small breed dogs and usually creates that waxing/waning limping. It is usually something they are born with. Many dogs don't show any problems with it, but some can limp like that, although it doesn't tend to last for a full week. If that is the case, it is not painful unless there is arthritis involved, and only surgery can fix it. It is still possible that there is another issue going on with the hip or knee joint, including damage to a ligament, which may not completely heal without surgery.
There are no human OTC pain medications that are consider completely safe for dogs. Enteric coated aspirin (walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm) is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal problems, including bleeding, and kidney problems and may interfere with other medications you vet may want to use, so I don't usually recommend it. You can also try a doggie glucosamine supplement to help support joint health. Cosequin or Nutrivet are the OTC ones I try to stick to. My best advice is to have your vet do a full orthopedic exam and even consider x-rays because there may be something different that can be done to help with this issue better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Yorkie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.