Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy impetigo. Has impetigo on belly. How do you treat it.

Customer Question
Puppy impetigo Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Puppy impetigo

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

Has impetigo on belly. How do you treat it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Ash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ash?

9 weeks old

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he scratching often?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of his belly and post it or attach it to your next message?

Thanks for the picture. It looks like a ruptured pustule. These usually form from an infection in the hair follicles. This is very common in puppies, especially on the belly. It can be due to fleas, skin mites (Demodex), intestinal parasites (i.e.; hookworms or roundworms), allergies (unlikely in a puppy this young) or from just being in a dirty environment. Either way, the best way to treat the area is antibiotics. I will usually put them on a course of oral antibiotics for 3 weeks. That usually gets it under control, but if there are other underlying factors, such as Demodex, fleas or intestinal parasites; those have to be taken care of as well. Sometimes I will use a chlorhexidene based shampoo, or Hibicleans scrub (can get OTC at a human pharmacy) to clean the area daily, leaving it on for 10 minutes. Rarely you can have something like this from a distemper infection, but there are usually other signs of them being ill. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Ash is doing and to see if you have any other questions.