Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old female border collie has recently started…

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old female border collie has recently started waking me up at night, every night, climbing or laying on me, licking me (which IS normal for her), & panting heavily. She is usually well behaved and when I tell her no or off, she gets down. However, she is adamant about staying put.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Border collie. What is the Border collie's name?

She isn't lethargic, it's more of an anxiety-ridden need to climb all over me. She will stand over my husband and pant. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Corona?

Her sister, Petunia, started doing the same thing & we ended up finding a tumor in her throat that ultimately ended her life a little over a year ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

If she is acting okay as far as eating ,drinking and eliminating, but only seems anxious at night , you may be seeing the beginning of canine cognitive dysfuntion and sundowners. This is much like human dementia. Dogs going through this will become more active at night and usually sleep through the day.

There is medication to help with this and what I would do, is keep a record of things you are seeing with her at night and in the daytime. Your Vet will go by your records to diagnose this.

Here is more on CCD and sundowners.

sundowners syndrome scroll to bottom for dogs

http://philosophyofdog.com/sundowners-syndrome-in-senior-dogs/

CCD old dog syndrome/ night terrors http://www.seniortailwaggers.com/old-dog-syndrome.html#Symptoms

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant