Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

It seems like it is getting worse. And her stomach seems…

Customer Question
Hey colllapse and it...

Hey colllapse and it seems like it is getting worse. And her stomach seems very full and she isn't really going poop and when she does it's a tiny amount and very mucus like and dark. Also she consistently keeps squatting to pee but only little dribbles come out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Honey and she is a rescue. Age is unclear but probably 9-10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?

Trachea collapse. Having more and more difficulty breathing. A little rattle when she breathes and definitely not acting like herself.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Honey. There appears to be more than one thing going on with her at this time.

Her tracheal collapse is expected to worsen with age but my primary concern is that "her stomach seems very full" which can indicate gaseous distension of her GI tract (best scenario), organomegaly (enlargement of her vital organs), or an abdominal effusion (free fluid in her abdominal cavity). Her stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) usually indicates a bacterial urinary tract infection but can also indicate the presence of urinary calculi (stones) or neoplasia such as transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra. Her not pooping can represent not eating well or any number of primary intestinal disorders or disorders elsewhere in her body that are affecting her GI tract.

In summary, Honey needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect her vet to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, X-rays or ultrasound (preferable) of her abdomen, and if fluid is found inside her abdomen, a small amount should be "tapped" and analyzed for its physical qualities and cellularity which will then guide her vet when deciding upon additional diagnostics. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian