Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog is constipated. He strains to go to the

Customer Question
I think my dog...

I think my dog is constipated. He strains to go to the bathroom but nothing comes out. His energy is good and he is eating and drinking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Eddie. 4 years old miniature poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eddie?

We fed him a dog bone from the farmers market. He ate the meat off of it and then we threw it out. I'm wondering if that is the cause of this.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass.

A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

You can use a children’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first.

IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation.. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

That said, while he was given a bone, it doesn't sound like he ingested any of the actual bone. If it is possible that he did indeed ingest a part of the bone, then an obstruction might be an issue. If you know that none of the bone was ingested, try some of the methods I suggested and see if he doesn't have a bowel movement pretty quickly.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.