Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Seems to have earmitea. Labrador. A dog. He seems to have…

Customer Question
Seems to have earmitea ...

Seems to have earmitea

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Labrador

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

A dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Labrador?

He seems to have earmites

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Labrador seem to hurt?

His ears

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Labrador's name and age?

Name is ***** ***** seven years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bo?

He seems to have trouble moving sometimes not as active and does not eat well

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bo is having a problem with his ears. I am sorry to hear about this problem. Can you describe to me a little more about what you are observing? Are the ears red or painful?

has a dark discharge from ears
Thank you for that information. This does sound like an ear infection. Although mites are possible, they are fortunately less common than yeast and bacteria overgrowth. There are many causes for ear infections. If there is a history of excessively licking or chewing the paws then that would highly suggest environmental allergies, which is a common cause of your infections. If water got into the ears, then that is another possible cause of ear infections. Finally, a mass or foreign body inside the ear can trap heat and moisture, which can cause an infection.What is needed next are for the ears to be examined by a veterinarian to make sure there is no growth or foreign body. Treatment for the ears will need to consist of an ear cleaning and using a topical medication for yeast and bacteria. Your veterinarian will have access to the best medication options, but Zymox is a decent over-the-counter medication that can be used if affordability to a veterinarian is a concern.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

can you use ear medicine for humans on a dog it is for ware in the ears.
Some medications for people are safe to use for animals.