Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Today my dog is whining a lot. She shivers intermittently,

Customer Question
Hi, today my dog...

Hi, today my dog is whining a lot. She shivers intermittently, but it is cold weather here So I don't know if it's related. Now she started having spasm like movement in her chest/belly area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mya is almost 6 years old. She is a Buchon-Shitzu mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mya?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of what you're seeing?

Any obvious pain?

Is she willing to walk around, take stairs and jump on furniture?

Other than whining on and off, I can't tell that she is hurting at all. She moves around normally. No other signs such as diarrhea, breathing issues or vomiting. She had the spasm only once for about 5 minutes. If she does it again I'll video it.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any type of trauma?

There have been no diet changes or trauma. It's been 2 days now and I noticed she is not eating as much as normal.

I am concerned with the whining that your companion may be experiencing neck or back pain. This may be mild enough to allow her to keep functioning relatively normally but may be affecting her appetite, which pain is apt to do. It's often difficult to discern pain from in the spine from a GI problem so do keep an eye out for vomiting/diarrhea or other signs of GI complications. I would urge you to have your companion examined. Deep palpation of the spine and examination of her body may reveal precisely what is causing her to whine and shake.

If you wish to try something from home, I would go this route keeping in mind that if she is experiencing a GI concern vs. discomfort that this route may cause her to symptoms to worsen: Assuming she is taking no other medications, you can administer aspirin for discomfort. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Mya?