Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Labrador/ Golden Retriever Mix (but she has a

Customer Question
I have a Labrador/...

I have a Labrador/ Golden Retriever Mix (but she has a smaller head so maybe another mix in her) She is 1 1/2 yrs old and I noticed that her tongue is getting slightly bluer than all the other dogs when she is outside in the heat but doesn't seem to mind it. At Doggy Day care she runs around with energy. When I mentioned it to her Vet he just said she might have homostatis and left it at that. Did nothing. We did have a complete blood test done on her for another reason and it all seems fine except her glucose was a little low but the Vet said sometimes this happens when the test is in transit and it may have been done late as it was held up due to the hurricane. Also it mentions anion gap? is low. I understand that homostatsis can be from many different reasons and maybe to find out what is wrong will not be worth the money if nothing can be done. Then my concern is if her blood is not getting enough oxygen then does this mean her organs will suffer eventually? Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Labrador?

When I got her at 3 months old she is submissive and due to her actions I believe that she was not allowed to eat as the other puppies wouldn't allow her, so she would eat wood, dirt, sticks, rocks, plastic etc. I had to train her not to. When she got regular food she would only eat a small amount and then go outside and eat the sticks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them...

1) Homeostasis describes the tendency of the body to seek and maintain a condition of balance or equilibrium within its internal environment, even when faced with external changes. A simple example of homeostasis is the body's ability to maintain a dog's internal temperature around 100.5-102.5F, whatever the temperature outside. It's not a "cause" of anything, much less cyanosis (the blue tint of her tongue) which indicates a lack of oxygen to her tissues.

2) Blood tests are resonable but cyanosis is usually due to cardiopulmonary disorders and so those systems need to be investigated by careful auscultation (listening to) and X-rays of her heart and lungs.

3) Yes, cyanosis can result in a cascade of organ failure and so prompt attention to it should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian